Heard of these fabulous burgers made with ramen noodles instead of a bun? Seen the pictures on pinterest? Drooled? Licked the screen?! Well, you can wipe your drool and make them at home!
My fabulous friend, who took me to Hawaii this summer where I was first introduced to L&L Hawaiian Barbecue and their ramen burger, said mine was better. Don’t take her word for it… try it yourself! And if you have a chance, fly to Hawaii and try theirs too! Better yet, take me along and I’ll buy you one!
These tasty burgers were a ton of fun to make. Whats more fun than making buns out of ramen noodles? In our house, you get to pick your birthday dinner (and breakfast and lunch) and it was my dear sweet Jaina’s birthday recently. The other members of the family always try to influence and encourage the birthday person to pick something they really like. I suspect this request was at my yobo’s influence. Jaina also wanted rice burgers, some I made them both.
Most recipes online for this creation have instructions for making one burger. The whole process would have been tedious and time consuming for all the monkeys in this little household. So I needed to find a way to make this work to feed all the hungry mouths in our family plus a special guest.
The solution: muffin tins! Would doesn’t love muffin tins? Not muffin tops… muffin tins! (Though eating too many of these may lead to muffin tops!!)
- 4 packages of ramen noodles
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- Hamburger patty
- BBQ sauce (or teriyaki sauce, or hoisin sauce... whatever you are feeling in the mood for!)
- green onions chopped finely
- mixed greens
- Cook the ramen according to the instructions
- Strain the water and let cool slightly
- Beat the eggs and salt and pepper
- Coat the noodles with the eggs. If the noodles are too hot, they will cook the eggs already!
- Line a muffin tin with plastic wrap
- Scoop out the noodles evenly into 12 muffin tin spots
- Cover with plastic wrap and weigh the buns down with various small jars from your fridge
- Refrigerate for 20-30 mins
- Add oil to a frying pan on medium heat
- Remove the buns from the saran wrap and fry for 4-5 mins on each side until they are brown.
- Press down on the buns to thin them out
- Prepare the hamburger patty
- Top the ramen burger with sauce of choice, onions and mixed greens!
- Savour and enjoy!
The muffin tins make for smaller ramen buns, so smaller beef patties would work best with this recipe.