An ohhh so yummy Korean beef taco. Tender sweet Korean beef with a tangy Asian slaw and spicy gojuchang… you will be licking your plate looking for more!
I have been dreaming of these delicious Korean tacos and sunny California beaches since the weather turned and it has been wet windy here. I’ve never made it to Korea town in California but I hear they have the best Mexican Korean fusion. So while we save up airmiles to make a foodie trip to LA, I’ll just whip us these, crank up the heat and enjoy a little taste of it at home. Mind you, the cost of heating the house might be similar to the airfare… hmmm…. need to think this through! 🙂
If you have made this delectable Korean beef roast, these tacos are a great left over meal if you managed to wrestle any beef away from the family as they devoured it. It is also totally worth it to cook up a big beef roast just for this dish!
Shredded Korean beef tacos with cabbage slaw
- Spread desired amount of go ju jang on the middle of the taco
- Add shredded Korean beef
- Top with Asian slaw (drain for a second or else it will be too wet)
- Wrap it up and enjoy!
If you like Korean Mexican fusion, you need to try these recipes! If you are heading to California, you have to try Korean tacos… better yet, take me along and we can enjoy them together! 🙂
Bulgogi tacos with kimchi
An East meets West combination! A wonderfully weird marriage of a Mexican classic and a Korean side dish. Korexican. Mexiorean. Whatever you want to call it, it is the best of both worlds. Mashi-e-sawyo! Delicioso!
I usually shy away from ‘fusion’ food. It is really popular in Korea and I know California has a big Korean fusion culture, but I remain skeptical about mixing flavours from different ethnic foods. But I was making the kids and me some nachos the other day for dinner and knew that my yobo would be less than excited about them. He is not a picky eater at all and he will eat anything I make him, but Mexican is not is favourite kind of food.
Then I remembered a recipe I saw at my sisters house in Fresh Juice magazine: Korean Tacos
Inspiration hit! Since I did not have the magazine, I just improvised this Korean version of nachos. And the verdict? Delicious! I ended up eating these instead of the ones I made for me and the kids 🙂 And my yobo? He devoured them and asked for more! Always a good sign!
The things you need:
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp gojujang, red pepper paste
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- hot green peppers
- sesame seeds
- nacho chips
The how to:
- brown the ground beef with the garlic and add the sesame oil, taco seasoning and soy sauce
- mix together the gojujang, vinegar and sugar to make a yummy spicy dressing
- chop your lettuce, cucumbers and hot green peppers into bite size pieces
- assemble: nachos, lettuce, ground beef mixture, cucumbers, peppers
- drizzle the dressing over it all and top with chopped kimchi and sesame seeds!
- to take it up a notch in fusion… add cheese! (it was surprisingly delicious!)