Nothing says I love you like a strawberry stuffed pancake! These yummy traditional Korean pancakes take on a valentines twist with a sweet strawberry jam filling!
Valentines day is such a special day. When you are dating and new in love, you think it is the best; it is so romantic. When you have kids it is just a wonderful day to celebrate love, all kinds of love, friendships and relationships. Little valentines cards go to school and come home. The teacher, me, gets a few special teacher cards and I go home, slightly frazzled from 5 year olds on a sugar high, but feeling loved. And at home in your family, your kids make you cards and leave secret messages in the mail box. You make a fancy breakfast with valentines under their plates. Your husband brings home chocolates. You eat some strawberry pancakes. And life is good. Love is good.
So how do you say I love you in Korean? Besides with strawberry pancakes? Sa -rang-he-yo! Give it a try, it might work wonders for you this valentines day! 🙂
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat...doesn't that make it healthy?)
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- In a bowl, mix together the warm water, sugar, yeast, salt and oil
- Add the flour slowly and mix it all together
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for about an hour or it has doubled in size
- Knead the dough slightly to release the bubbles
- Cover again and allow to rise for 10-20 minutes
- Flour a clean surface and knead the dough
- Divide into 8 balls
- Flatten a ball in the palm of your hand and fill the center with 1 tbsp of jam
- Pinch the sides to the top to close it up
- Fry in an oiled pan on medium heat
- Fry for 30 seconds and flip it over and flatten it out so it looks like a pancake
- Flip it over and fry until golden brown
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy warm!
A visual how-to:
Some of my valentines enjoying the love!